Please follow the instructions carefully, use only the documents provided by the professor. The attach doc below is an example of a 0 points essay, please don’t make the same mistake.
Comments by the professor :Unfortunately, I cannot give partial credit your submission for the following reasons: 1) instead of using assigned reading (textbook) and class lectures, you used other online material which is prohibited. 2) why are none of the documents assigned for this assignment used and cited as part of your analysis 3) to properly compare and contrast, you have to provide both similarities and differences between the groups. Your submission offered only the similarities in terms of how all three were viewed with hostility, competed for jobs, and organized. So what are differences and uniqueness that sets each group apart from each other
To complete midterm #1, you will write a standard long format essay (5-6 pages, minimum of 1000 words/no maximum, 12 point Times New Roman font, double space) to answer the following prompt:
- Compare and contrast the Asian diaspora (Chinese, Japanese, Filipinos) to America starting from the mid-nineteenth century to the 1930s.
Your essay will need to use at least six out of the eight following documents:
If there be a Chinaman who came to this country when a lad, who has passed through an American institution of learning of the highest grade, who has so fallen in love with American manners and ideas that he desires to make his home in this land, and who, seeing that his countrymen demand one of their own number to be their legal adviser, representative, advocate, and protector, desires to study law, can he be a lawyer? By the law of this nation, he, being a Chinaman, cannot become a citizen, and consequently cannot be a lawyer.
And this statue of liberty is a gift to a people from another people who do not love or value liberty for the Chinese. Are not the [Vietnamese], to whom liberty is as dear as to the French? What right have the French to deprive them of their liberty?
Whether this statute against the Chinese or the statue of liberty will be the more lasting monument to tell future ages of the liberty and greatness of this country, will be known only to future generations.
Liberty, we Chinese do love and adore thee; but let not those who deny thee to us, make of thee a graven image and invite us to bow down to it.
Document #5: Picture Brides Arriving at Angel Island (1910s)
â€œYou declare war with Spain for the sake of Humanity. You announced to the world that your program was to set Cuba free, in conformity with your constitutional principlesâ€¦.you promised us your aid and protection in our attempt to form a government on the principles and after the model of the government of the United Statesâ€¦.Joy abounded in every heart, and all went wellâ€¦untilâ€¦the Government at Washingtonâ€¦commenced by ignoring all promises that had been made and ended by ignoring the Philippine people, their personality and rights, and treating them as a common enemyâ€¦.In the face of the world you emblazon humanity and liberty upon your standard, while you cast your political constitution to the winds and attempt to trample down and exterminate a brave people whose only crime is that they are fighting for their liberty.â€
Document #6: “Aguinaldo’s Case Against the United States” by a Filipino (North American Review, 1899)
Document #7: Advertisement of the Philippines Exposition at St Louis World’s Fair (1904)
Document #8: Filipinos pose before the ruins of their bombed-out clubhouse in Stockton, California in 1930.
Your grade (150 points) for this assignment will be based on the following criteria:
- Thesis: Present a thesis that makes a historically defensible claim and response to all part of the question. Your thesis must consist of one or more sentences located in the introduction.
- Argument Development: Develop and support a cohesive argument that recognizes and accounts for the historical complexity by explicitly illustrating relationships among historical evidence such as contradictions, corroboration, and/or qualification.
- Use of Documents: Utilize the content of at least six of documents to support the stated thesis or a relevant argument. For every document below the minimum six quota, 20 points will be deducted from your total score.
- Sourcing the documents: Explaining the significance of the author’s point of view, author’s purpose, historical context, and/or audience for at least six documents.
- Contextualization: Situate the argument by explaining the broader historical events, developments, or processes immediately relevant to the question.
- Outside Evidences: Provide examples or additional evidences (key terms/concept from the reading and class lectures) beyond those found in the documents to support your argument.
- Citation: MLA or APA in text citation is sufficient. A work cited list is not needed because all of your content should be based on lectures and assigned readings only.
Before You Submit:
[Double Check Your Submission] Double check your submission to make sure it meets all of the criteria for the assignment.
- [Proofread] Please proofread and make sure your essay utilizes at least six documents to answer the essay prompt in a clear, organized, detailed, and cohesive essay format (essay response includes a short introduction including a thesis statement, body paragraphs with supporting evidences, and conclusion statement)
- [At least 1000 words] Your submission must be at least 1000 words and include specific details, key terms, and contents from class readings and lectures. Any submission with fewer than 1000 words will automatically receive a zero. There is no maximum word cap so feel free to write as much as you think is necessary.
- [Include citations of at least six documents] When quoting o r citing from document, a simple in writing MLA/or APA in text citation at the end of the sentence is sufficient. Any essay that does not include a citation of assigned documents, discuss relevant information/content/key terms beyond the documents, and written in a vague and broad manner will not receive partial credit