Part 1: Intrafamilial Abuse
Excerpts from a Case Study (Brother & Sister Incest; Katz & Hamama, 2017):
- I cannot tell you when it happened; I only know that my parents were sleeping or in their room when it happened; I cannot understand how they did not hear me crying but they did not.
- I know that it happened when they (parents) were at work; this was his time to come to my room and to do all of these things.
- When I was worried at night that he will come to touch me I went to sleep next to my mom and I remember that one night she told me what are you doing here go to sleep with your brother, and I told her that it is hard for me but she looked at me and got upset; she told me â€œgo right now you are not a baby.â€
- When I told my mom, she looked at me and said, â€œI cannot believe thatâ€ and I told her â€œplease mommy, listen to me I can prove it to you,â€ but she stared right back at me and repeated â€œI cannot believe that.â€
- What are themes/theories we discussed that apply to their stories?
- What could have been done to prevent more sexual abuse from occurring?
Part 2: Pedophilia
Watch the I, Pedophile Documentary and read the short NY Times article located in the files section below. The documentary is available on Amazon Prime. If you don’t have Amazon Prime, you should be able to sign up for a trial membership. I had originally thought I would show the video through Zoom, but it does not allow me to (and with the library closed, the DVD is no accessible). If there is any reason you cannot watch the documentary, please at least read the NY times article to help answer the questions below.
- What are your initial reactions to the documentary & article?
- Did your perspective of pedophiles change after watching the documentary and article? If so, explain why.
- Please list some of the research findings shared in the documentary.
- Do you agree with the theory that Pedophilia has to do with developmental brain differences and should be treated as a mental illness? Please explain your answer.
Please answer every part of the prompt and be descriptive! I attached the NY Times article in the files section below! Thanks! Let me know if you have any questions. There is two parts to the prompt. Make sure to answer each question in each prompt.