Literacy bags are a wonderful method for encouraging at-home literacy development. Sending childrenâ€™s books home with an activity to support reading, writing, listening, or speaking can improve emergent readerâ€™s skills.
For this assignment, create three 250-500 word handouts for families.
One for infants,
one for toddlers,
one for preschool
that explains literacy bags and how families can employ them to enhance their childâ€™s literacy. Handouts should be visually appealing and include at least one graphic element.
Include the following in each handout:
- Age/grade level (infant, toddler, and preschool) the literacy bag is designed for.
- Developmentally appropriate book that can enhance both receptive and expressive language skills.
- Importance of emergent literacy skills for the specific age/grade level to support young learnersâ€™ receptive and expressive skills, and how families can use these books at home to increase receptive and expressive language development.
- An activity families can use to develop and support either receptive or expressive skills. Provide a rationale for the activity, explaining how the activity uses the literature chosen to support development.
- A brief assessment aligned to desired learning outcomes for families to use with their children.