review the poem The Second Coming by Yeats (found in the course content)
Review Yeats’ poem, The Second Coming (your text does not include a full copy).
1. Discuss the imagery in this poem as it might relate to traditional religious views.
2. Think in terms of changes in social context, how might this poem reflect these changes?
3. Think about the last lines of this poem…
“…And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches toward Bethlehem to be born?”
4. How might we interpret the meaning behind this image? What might the ‘rough beast’ really symbolize?
5. Contrast the poetry of Chapter 13 (poetry spiritually connected with nature) and the poetic works of early Chapter 14 (which relate to identity and social injustices). We transition our focus from the mysticism of nature to social issues; justify and discuss this transition.