Ethnographic Experience (60 pts.)- This is an opportunity to observe a group/family or ethnic group other than your own. This requirement is designed to help you become more familiar with cultures, ethnic groups, or belief systems other than your own. Students should focus on cultural events and home activities of their chosen culture. Familiarize yourself with the culture prior to the activities; this preparation will enable respectful engagment in the experience.
Some examples of activities might include:
- A cultural festival or event attended primarily by people from a culture or identity different from your own.
- A service or ceremony of a religion other than your own or in a place of worship, which primarily serves a group with which you are NOT familiar.
- A meal in the home of a family from a different ethnic group than your own.
- Grocery shopping with a family from a different culture.
After the activities, write a 4-5-page APA formatted paper. This paper will include your synthesis of knowledge obtained, your readings, reflections about the project, and a complete reference list. Your paper should discuss the following:
- Literature review about your chosen group
- A description of the activities or events and your role as a participant
- What you learned about the group or culture from this project
- What you learned about yourself and your role as â€œotherâ€
- How your experience relates to class readings, discussions, etc.
- How the experience might be applied to your own family, culture, or life