I need an explanation for this Communications question to help me study.
Media Event Reflection
- Due Wednesday by 11:59pm
- Points 5
How does communication technology shape the experience of important life events and news?
This assignment asks you to reflect on the role of communication technology in an important life event or news. This event could be a happy milestone or news – an award announcement, a surprise homecoming, a personal achievement – or something sad, disappointing, or even tragic. (Please don’t feel any obligation to share an experience you’d rather not revisit.) The only requirement is that you: 1) choose an event or news that was memorable and meaningful to you; and 2) choose an event or news that involved communication technology in some way.
For example, you might reflect on how you experienced an encounter with a celebrity, or learned that your family had gotten a new pet, or were informed of a romantic breakup, or a job rejection. (These are just some ideas – you can come up with your own.)
While writing your paper, you should reflect on the following questions:
- Why was this event or news meaningful?
- Where were you when you experienced this event or received this news?
- Were you alone or with others? If with others, who were you with?
- What as your reaction? What did you do?
- What communication technology was involved? How did this specific communication technology shape your experience?
- How might you have experienced the same event or news without this technology?
Papers should be at least 500 words long (approximately 2 pages double-spaced) and are due in class on Wednesday, February 19. Late papers get a reduced grade of one half (e.g., B becomes B-) for each day beyond the deadline, including the weekend.
Please feel free to make an appointment with me or to email me with any questions you have concerning the assignment. Have fun!