The Accessibility Of CBT
The Barnes et al., 2013 reading offers a look at the client’s perspective of being approached with CBT therapy. It points to pitfalls we may face when implementing manualized CBT treatments in practice. What implications does the client’s perspective have on the choice to use CBT in practice? You are welcome to draw on the course readings from Weeks 10 and 11 as well as your practice experience to shape your response.
200 – 300 words in length. Be sure to use APA style and format If you use in-text citations and references. You should also include a descriptive subject line in this initial post.
- Textbook Chapter 10
- Burckell, L.A. & McMain, S. (2011). Contrasting clients in Dialectical Behavioral Therapy for borderline personality disorder: Marie and Dean, two cases with different alliance trajectories and outcomes. Pragmatic Case Studies in Psychotherapy, 7, 246-267. Contrasting Clients in Dialectical Behavior Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder.pdf
- Dimaggio, G., Salvatore, G., Lysaker, P., Ottavi, P., Popolo, R., & Shahar, Golan. (2015). Behavioral Activation Revisited as a Key Principle of Change in Personality Disorders Psychotherapy. Journal of Psychotherapy Integration, 25(1), 30-38. https://bit.ly/3g4LnZT
- Chapter 9 Textbook
- Barnes, Maria, Sofie Sherlock, Laura Thomas, David Kessler, Willem Kuyken, Amanda Owen‐Smith, Glyn Lewis, Nicola Wiles, and Katrina Turner. “No Pain, No Gain: Depressed Clients’ Experiences of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.” British Journal of Clinical Psychology 52.4 (2013): 347-64. Web. https://bit.ly/3Hcngo0 (Links to an external site.).
- Heapy, A.A., Stroud, M.W., Higgins, D.M., & Sellinger, J.J. (2006). Tailoring cognitive-behavioral therapy for chronic pain: A case example. Journal of Clinical Psychology: In session, 62(11), 1345-1354. https://bit.ly/3KRZj7z
- Renaud, J., Russell, J., & Myhr, G. (2014). Predicting who benefits most from cognitive-behavioral therapy for anxiety and depression. Journal of Cognitive Psychology, 70(10), 924-932. https://bit.ly/32L5uJu