The Stance Essay
This week’s discussion will prepare you for our peer review next week.
The sample student paper is on the attachment. Then comment on the paper, identifying strong points in the draft as well as suggesting some ways the writer could improve it.
Keep in mind the rubric standards: strong opening, thesis statement, good organization and development of key ideas in the body paragraphs, strong conclusion. Think about the following questions as you read the paper.
1. How well does the essay achieve its purpose?
2. What can you learn from this draft and apply to your own paper?
3. Does the writer provide adequate support for his or her claims?
4. Does the writer adhere to APA requirements, especially in terms of documentation?
5. Is the writing fluent? Or do errors in mechanics undercut the writer’s credibility?