The purpose of the research paper is for students to individually research a historical event or phenomenon that happened in modern/contemporary China and Japan. Students will research the historical significance of the event in Chinese or Japanese history, and how the event impacted present-day China/Japan.
The research paper should address six themes.
- What historical factors/backgrounds caused this event to happen?
- Who were the main actors in this event? Who was affected?
- What were the major debates, controversies that happened during this event?
- How was this event significant to the countryâ€™s domestic politics/society?
- How was this event significant to the countryâ€™s interaction with other countries?
- What impact or legacy did this event have on the countryâ€™s future?
- Separate Title Page. Include the title of the paper, the date, and your name.
- Page Length and Font: 6 to 8 pages (Title Page and Bibliography Page are not included).
- Separate Bibliography Page: List the sources used for research. There should be a minimum of 7 sources (Wikipedia cannot be one of the 7 sources).
The font should be Times New Roman 12, double space.
*If you choose to use a foreign language source, then you should translate the title of the source into English.
- Whichever citation you use (Chicago, APA, MLA, etc.) be consistent.
- Use End Notes, or Foot Notes for citation. Do not use parenthetical citations.
Style and Grammar:
- Personal opinions are not appropriate for the research paper. The paper should not include phrases such as â€œI feel that â€¦â€
- It is important for the reader (the professor) to be able to read and understand your paper. Points will be taken off for serious grammatical, stylistic, and punctuation errors that make meanings of the sentences and paragraphs unclear and hard to follow. Be sure to proofread your paper before submission.
- In your research and writing process, donâ€™t just jump right into writing. Reflect, take notes, think about the arguments/observations being made by the authors of your sources.In writing the research paper, provide examples and evidence that defend your analysis and conclusion.
- If you need help in researching or writing the paper, please visit the professor during office hours. You may also visit the Academic Support Access Center (x3360, MGC 243), which offers study skills workshops, individual instruction, tutor referrals. Writing support is also available in the ASC Writing Lab or the Writing Center, Battelle 228.