After reading Chapter Seven in Thinking for Yourself, discuss the following guide questions by posting comments and responses on this forum. Feel free to share your thoughts of each topic. Use all available resources to aid you. NOTE: Post your answers to these questions prior to taking the module quiz or assignment points will be lost.
- How can word choice convey bias?
- How is the term viewpoints defined?
- Why is the term viewpoint far more than a synonym for the word opinion?
- Explain the difference between a conscious and unconscious viewpoint.
- Explain the difference between egocentrism and ethnocentrism. (Do Discussion Questions one through four on pages 202-203)
- Viewpoints may be hidden in news framing. How are we able to discern the viewpoint of a publication or television station or program? Why is it valuable, as a critical reader or TV viewer, to be able to characterize or label their viewpoints?
- Define propaganda and describe some propaganda that you were able to recognize. How did you recognize it?
After posting your answers to the discussion questions, take the chapter quiz, then remember to return and respond to at least two other classmate’s posts. When you post your responses, remember to identify the individual whom you are addressing in the response, include a thought-provoking question (not answered with a mere “yes” or “no”.) about their comments and demonstrate an in-depth understanding of the discussion, not mere superficial comments.