TV Show Analysis Essay Overview
First, you will create an outline for a 700 word analysis essay on the theme of gender in the family TV show you watched. Then, you will then use this outline to develop the analysis essay due at the end of this week.
Your essay will include a clear thesis and well-developed key ideas with topic sentences and supporting examples. The essay will also follow the conventional organization of the following three elements:
Introduction: introduces the subject/s being analyzed and, in a thesis statement, states the reason for the analysis and the main ideas/claims that support that reason. Your thesis should be the last sentence in the introduction paragraph. Please underline your thesis.
Body: contains at least THREE body paragraphs that begin with topic sentences (supporting arguments) that prove your thesis. Each topic sentence should be a reason why your thesis is true.
Conclusion: summarizes the analysis and explains new understanding.
Suggestions to develop the body of the essay:
- Analyze the characters’ representations of gender (summary does not belong in an analysis!)
- The thesis and topic sentences should be the strongest, most analytical sentences in your essay.
- Support each point with specific examples and details from the episodes you watched
- Relate each point of analysis back to the thesis
- Follow a clear organizational pattern
- Include transitional words and phrases to make your observations clear
Sample thesis statement (Gilmore Girls)
Lorelai in Gilmore Girls fulfills the stereotypical gender role of the mother; however, she also goes against societal expectations by fulfilling the unconventional roles of father and peer.
Resources – To learn about MLA formatting, integration of sources, and MLA documentation, please visit links for MLA in the Writing Resources link.